The weird, wonderful and fascinating photos of recent history.
History has given us some amazing photos to look back on. Some pics in this collection has never been seen before and some are so weird you’re going to think WTF!!?? There have been some incredible moments over the years, and some of them have been captured on film for future generations to enjoy. If you thought that modern life is weird, wait till you see some of these!
Apart from the weird, we have some amazing photos of iconic figures and structures that are simply fascinating.
Enjoy the post, it’s a long one!
1. Smallpox Victim In New York City 1881
A man suffering from smallpox during the 1881 New York City Smallpox epidemic
2. US tropes land on Omaha Beach on D-Day (1944)
A chilling photo showing the fear of landing into the unknown. Most of these men were killed and never saw their families again.
3. Construction workers building the Empire State Building
This photo is enough to make your anus quiver with fear.
4. Construction of the Twin Towers (NYC 1971)
5. The last kiss before going off to war
Women give their men a last kiss goodbye before the soldiers set sail to take part in WW2
6. A utility worker being given the kiss of life after he made contact with a live high volyage wire. 1967
7. Abraham Lincoln’s Inauguration – Washington DC – 1861
8. Abraham Lincoln’s Inauguration – Washington DC – 1861
9. Tank Man of Tiananmen Square
Photographed by Stuart Franklin in 1989, this is one of the most iconic images of a generation.
10. Here’s another view of Tank Man standing in front of the tanks
11. George Best playing football in Belfast, aged 2
12. World famous artist Salvador Dalí and Coco Chanel having a cigarette together. 1938
13. A Russian war veteran sees the tank he spent the war in, for the first time in 70 years.
14. A puppy having a snooze in-between some Russian soldiers during WW2 – (1945)
15. A photo taken of a woman sneezing
16. A policeman on a Harley Davidson with a customised mobile holding cell of the side
17. Paul McCartney takes a selfie in 1959
18. The only known photograph of Billy The Kid
19. A frozen Niagara Falls – 1911
20. Keith Richards in the studio. (1967)
21. John F Kennedy Jr salutes his father’s coffin along with the honour guard
22. Jessie James photographed aged 16 years old
23. Jackie Kennedy wearing her famous pink Channel dress with her husband’s blood stains on it, stands next to Lyndon Johnson as he is sworn in to office as the President of The United States of America
24. Whiskey dispensers at work, was a common sight back in the 1950s
25. Construction begins on the Berlin wall
26. Construction half way through of the Effel Tower, Paris.
27. Construction of Christ The Redeemer in Rio
28. Rio without Christ The Redeemer statue
29. Whipping scars shown on the back of an ex-slave
30. This is the moment that for first time ever Harold Whittles hears sounds after a doctor places an earpiece in his left ear.
31. Hitler practising his public speeches in front of a mirror
32. Che Guevara and Fidel Castro
33. The Bin Laden family in Sweden 1971. Osama is 2nd on the left in the green trousers
34. A young Hitler in 1914 at Munich’s Odeonsplatz to cheer the declaration of war on Russia
35. An early 20th century version of the alarm clock on an iphone. A Knocker up, waking up his clients with the use of a stick that reaches up to the bedroom window.
36. A Frenchman cries in despair and panic as the Nazis occupy Paris during World War II
37. A child gives a heart-shaped balloon to riot police during the protests against austerity measures in Bucharest
38. This photograph shows the winner of the Miss Atomic Bomb beauty pageant 1950
39. A dog named Leao sits for a second consecutive day at the grave of her owner, who died in the tragic landslides near Rio de Janiero on January 15, 2011.
40. Woman crushes the roof of a United Nations car after committing suicide by jumping off the Empire State Building (NYC)
This was Evelyn Francis McHale (23 years old) who jumped off the Empire State Building and crushed the roof of a United Nations Assembly Cadillac. Clutching a strand of pearls at her neck, she looked to be resting peacefully despite the fact that she was dead and just fell from 33 floors.
41. The day Sweden changed from driving on the left to driving on the right.
On September 3rd, 1967, or “H-Day” as it was called, Sweden planned to switch from driving on the left side of the road to the right side. This is what happened.
42. Now that’s a snowball fight! They really knew how to do it back in 1893!
Students from Princeton has a snowball fight back in 1893. It was Freshman vs Spohomore. This photo shows the results of the fight. They must have used their fists as well as snow to hit their opponents!
43. The real Winnie the Pooh and Christopher Robin (1927)
44. Prisoners leaving Alcatraz in 1963 before it closes forever
This photo shows the very last prisoners of Alcatraz prison in San Francisco Bay, moving on out of the facility and relocating them to another prison. The jail known as “The Rock, or “”America’s Devil Island” was home to over 200 inmates at the maximum security facility.
45. The aftermath of a fire at Madam Tussauds Wax Museum. Melted limbs and burnt mannequins of wax back in 1930 in London.
46. This 1929 photo shows alcohol being poured out of the windows of a building during Prohibition in Detroit
47. Family watching an atomic mushroom cloud rising into the air from the bomb testing in Las Vegas 1959.
48. A mother selling her 4 children,August 4, 1948 – Chicago, Illinois
49. A young boy in Austria receives brand new shoes during WW2
50. Children having dinner during the Great Depression – feasting on cabbage and turnips
51. A little girl with artificial legs – England 1890
52. A 1920s life guard on the beach
53. A hotel owner throwing acid/bleach into his pool after seeing a black people swimming in it.
54. Martin Luther King removing a burnt cross from the front of his house, with his son in 1960
55. A man measuring bathing suits of women. If they were too short they would be fined – (1920)
56. Iconic photo of a soldier in Vietnam – 1965 – War is hell
57. A bombed bookstore in London ruined by an air raid 1940
58. This is Walter Yeo. He was the first man to have advanced plastic surgery and a skin transplant – (1917)
59. A woman using a sun tan vending machine to top up her tan (1949)
60. The quite scary and original Ronald McDonald 1963
61. Disneyland Staff Cafeteria in 1961
62. An advertisement for Atabrine anti-malaria drug in Papua New Guinea during WWII
63. A Soldier shares his banana with a goat while fighting in the battle of Saipan (1944)
64. A little girl holding her doll and sitting in the rubble of her bombed house in London (1940)
65. A Man riding a Circus hippo pulling a cart in 1924
66. This is Annette Kellerman. In this photo she is promoting the right for women to wear a fitted one piece bathing suit. She was later arrested for indecency (1907)
67. Annie Edison Taylor was the first person to survive while going over Niagara Falls in a barrel – Brave woman! Or just plain stupid (1901)
68. A 106 year old woman from Armenia, guards her home (1990)
69. A baby in a cage. These were used in 1937 to make sure that children got enough sunlight and fresh air when living in high-rise buildings and apartments.
70. Nazi officers and cadets having a celebration Christmas feast (1941)
71. Image of the Hindenburg Disaster May 6 1937
72. A 27 year old Charlie Chaplin – 1916
73. Buddhist monk Quang Duc sets himself alight in a suicide protest against the South Vietnamese government then under Ngo Dinh Diem.
74. The testing of new bulletproof vests (1923)
75. Animals being used as part of medical therapy (1956)
76. Woman wearing a gas mask while walking with a pram (1938)
77. Elvis serving in the Army in 1958
78. Unpacking the head of the Statue of Liberty (1885)
80. 20 minutes after the atomic bomb dropped on Nagasaki
81. Arnie showing off his muscles to two old girls
82. Albert Einstein kicking back on holiday
83. Albert Einstein’s office on the day he died.
84. Strange photo of a bear wrestling a man
85. Photo of The Beatles waiting to cross the Zebra Crossing on Abbey Road
86. Weird photo of some women with a blood stained bed
87. The Camp Nou, Barcelona – 1925
88. Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee
89. Elmer Riggs and Mr Klein with a fossil of a rhinosaur. Check out the stuff that’s overflowing from the draws.
90. Construction of the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco
91. Google.com moves from their garage to an office in 1999
92. Hitler invades Paris – 1940
93. Lumberjacks in California work on giant redwood trees – 1920
94. A very strange photo of a woman with her best friends
95. Osama Bin Laden with his Judo team mates
96. Filming of the MGM lion intro
97. The very last photo taken of the Titanic before it sunk
98. Filming of the original series of Batman
99. A staff photo of Microsoft – 1978
100. Photo of the skies over London while bombing and dog fights between the Germans and British planes during WWII
101. The very last Tasmanian tiger, which is now extinct